Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I know if my proposal should be considered a gift or a sponsored program? And what difference does it make?
    It is important to determine the nature of an award as there are different policies and procedures in place for applying for as well as for managing gifts versus sponsored agreements. However, it can be difficult to make this distinction. Typically, a sponsored agreement is related to an exchange transaction and has one or more of the following general characteristics:
    • Scholarly terms or a statement of work
    • Formal deliverables such as progress reports or performance objective
    • Specific terms regarding fiduciary responsibility or payment contingencies
    • Specified terms regarding disposition for property upon conclusion of the project
    • Proposal submission required by the sponsoring agency
    If you still are unsure about the nature of your award, please feel free to contact our office for additional clarification.
  • How far in advance should I submit my proposal to the Grants & Contracts Office?
    Principal Investigators should submit proposals at least five working days prior to the agency's postmark deadline.
  • Is there an internal form required for University officials to review/approve my proposal and where can I get one?
    Yes, there is a form. A copy of the completed proposal must be submitted to the Grants & Contracts Office with a Proposal Transmittal Form attached. The first three University signatures are the responsibility of the Principal Investigator to obtain. The form can be downloaded from this website, emailed as an attachment, faxed, or mailed via Campus Mail. Contact Patrick Ingram or DeLaine Samples for methods other than downloading from this web site.
  • What is the Facilities and Administrative (F&A or indirect) cost rate?
    Contact Patrick Ingram or DeLaine Samples in the Grants & Contracts Office for Mercer's Indirect Cost Rate.
  • What is Mercer's Congressional District?
    Mercer is located in the 2nd Congressional District beginning in 2013.
  • What is Mercer's House District?
    Mercer is located in the 143rd district.
  • What is Mercer's Senate District?
    Mercer is located in the 26th district.
  • What is Mercer's tax status?
    Mercer is tax exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
  • What is Mercer's DUNS?

    Contact DeLaine Samples or Patrick Ingram in the Grants & Contracts Office for Mercer's DUNS.

  • What is Mercer's School of Medicine Organizational Component Code?
    Mercer's School of Medicine Organizational Component Code is 01.
  • How do I find out about funding opportunities?
    The Grants & Contracts Office has provided a Funding Search Request Form and SPIN Plus Funding Opportunities Database to aid in locating funding opportunities. Another option is to contact Grants and Contracts staff at x2801 or by e-mail at
  • How do I determine my base rate of pay?
    For grant purposes, base rate of pay is determined using an individual's base salary and annual hours. The base salary, defined by annual contracts, does not include any additional income such as stipends, extra pay for additional assignments, etc. Annual hours are determined based on contract length, which are 2080.00 hours for 12-month Faculty and 1701.78 for 9-month Faculty.

    To determine the base rate of pay for Faculty, we must use the annual base salary and divide it by the annual number of hours worked in a contract year. So base rate of pay would be calculated as follows in the examples below:

    12-month Faculty with a base annual salary of $50,000:
    $50,000 / 2080.00 hours = $24.04 per hour

    9-month Faculty with a base annual salary of $40,000:
    $40,000 / 1701.78 hours = $23.51 per hour
  • What is the salary cap for proposals?
    Beginning January 5, 2020 (Executive Level II) - $197,300
  • What rate do I use for fringe benefits for personnel in my proposal?
    For fiscal years beginning after July 1, 2007, the fringe benefit rate varies with regards to personnel. Please contact x2801 for the individualized fringe rate for your budget.
  • Can I use unrecovered or waived indirect costs as cost sharing in my grant?
    No. Although 2 CFR 700.10 states, " Unrecovered indirect costs, including indirect costs on cost sharing or matching may be included as part of cost sharing or matching,." Mercer University does not have prior approval from our cognizant agency, The Office of Naval Research (ONR), to categorize unrecovered indirect costs as cost sharing or matching.
  • What is Mercer University's National Science Foundation (NSF) Awardee Organization Code?
    Mercer University's NSF Awardee Organization Code is 0015800000.
  • What is Mercer University's Institutional Profile Number (IPF) for the National Institute's of Health?
    Mercer University- Institutional Profile Number (IPF) for NIH is 1477803.
  • Whom do I contact if my proposal involves the use of human subjects?
    The contact person for the application and guidelines for involvement of human subjects is Ava Chambliss-Richardson.
  • Whom do I contact if my proposal involves the use of infectious agents, hazardous chemicals, or radioactive materials?
    The contact person for the use of infectious agents, hazardous chemicals or radioactive materials is Alan Baca.
  • Whom do I contact if my proposal involves the use of animals?
    The contact person for the use of animals is Ajuania White.